Sunday 29 September 2013

Day 54 - Through the Rice Fields


What I said yesterday about never walking alone holds true but if you do want to walk alone, you can do so and it's quite a rewarding experience to be out there on your own hiking and enjoying the quiet.




I decided to go for a long walk today as the weather was great and I had no further plans, people here are surprised when they see you waking on your own and you always get the offer of them joining you in case you change your mind about buying something but they also leave you alone if you are clear about not buying anything.




While walking around on my own through the rice fields I could see people working to harvest the rice, carrying it back to the village, see water buffaloes grazing, kids playing and so soak in some of the way of life here for a lot of people.





Joining a tour is fun and you meet other people but when you come here make sure you also take a few days just to go out and explore yourself. While there are no proper maps, especially when it comes to the hiking paths, you can use Google Maps somewhat to navigate around. Should you feel lost, just ask someone and they will point you in the right direction so you will always find your way back.



Upon my return from my walk, the people in the hotel made fun as I walked over 30km today but did not really find it tiring or exhausting at all. On the contrary, I had a great time and will look for another waking challenge for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment