Tuesday 20 October 2009

Flash Series #1

GRD III, f2.8, 1/32, ISO 400, RAW

The days are getting shorter, it is darker in the morning when we get out and motly grey during the day. While walking to work today, I got an idea for a short series on my blog.

There is not much I dislike more than flash pictures taken with a compact camera so it only makes sense that I base my theme around this. I will try to take pictures where the use of the built-in flash is obvious and to make it more difficult these pictures need to be taken outside in the park. This means one thing probably and this is that my next pictures will probably be pretty awfull so you have been warned. ;)

My experience with flash is very limited and I try to avoid the use of it whenever possible so this will be a challenge for me to hopefully experiment more with it and get some decent results by the end of it.

4 comments:

  1. I like flash, I don’t find it a necessary evil and feel that today I don’t use it enough, but I have used it for many years (Daily during the 70’s and 80’s)
    Of course the built in flash of any camera is very limiting, almost a waste of time and not the best way to get consistent good results.
    You may be interested in ‘Radio Slaves’ these are available very cheaply from Hong Kong and make all manual flash set ups so easy. I use them extensively on DSLR but I hope to use them more often now that I am shooting more with my compacts and winter is here
    A Radio sender in the hot shoe of the GRD and a small manual flash unit in your pocket is a small versatile package for off camera lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can try some street photography with flash, like this guy.

    At your own risk, ofcourse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the 1930s American press shots of crime scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments!

    Rob, thanks for the tips, I might look into that if I decide to experiment more with flash. I am however more into available light photography and don't have much understanding of how a flash affects the scene.

    Robert, Bruce Gilden is a really funny guy and I like his style. If I try this though in London I am sure you won't see more updates on my blog. ;)

    Yesbuts, you are right looking back at the picture. Maybe I should have converted it to grainy b&w to fit the mood even better.

    ReplyDelete