Sunday 7 December 2008

Conquering Lantau Peak


The weather was great as usual here and since it was Sunday, I thought, I will do some hiking in Lantau. After all the people yesterday I needed a change and also wanted to trial the GX200 as a landscape camera.
Taking the cable car took a while since it was packed but once up there it was fine. I took some pictures of the big Buddha and visited the temple but did not stay long since I will be revisiting this. What I won't be revisiting however is hiking all the way up to Lantau Peak. Before starting the hike I went on the 'Path of Enlightenment'. My enlightenment came although a bit too late. I realized two things while climbing up. First, do take enough water with you and if you think it is enough take some more. Second, this was the last time I ever carry my UMPC and more than one camera up a mountain ;).
The hike was well worth is and despite the haze I've been rewarded with some spectacular views. I can only recommend this but do follow my advice :).
As much as I might have complained about the GX200 yesterday as a decisive moment camera and the poor quality at high ISO but for hiking it's fantastic, the extra resolution and mainly the zoom are essential. If you want a compact camera to take along for hiking, this is it. Forget the GRDs or Panasonic LX3 and don't even think of lugging around the Canon G10 brick, this is the camera to take. You will appreciate the excellent lens and extra zoom compared with the LX3 and the extra wide angle and lighter body compared with the G10.
Enough talk, enjoy today's series.





5 comments:

  1. The second photograph is wonderful.

    I honestly do disagree with you on your opinion about the GX200. First off I think any camera can be a decisive moment camera. Learn the limitations, kope with it, and make it work for you.

    I personally think the LX3 is currently the better camera. And if I didn't have the GX200 I would pick up the LX3 without any hesitation. I really like the results I see from the LX3, and although the user interface is not as good as the Ricoh user interface, I think it can be a very rewarding camera. Even so at higher ISO's making the camera more versatile too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the 2nd photo as well. Personally I would take up a mountain my GRD and RD-1 :). Why did you even have the UMPC in the bag for this task ? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this series very much! Excellent compositions.

    The more I see your GX200 photos, the more I persuade my brother-in-law to get a GX200.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to come to the defence of the Canon G9 & 10. They might look like a brick, but a gold brick. :)

    The LX3 is certainly receiving rave reviews.

    Having said that, you have posted a nice series of photographs.

    Glad to read you are having a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Wouter, I wexplained my reasoning in the answer to you in my last post. The screen freeze is what makes it unusable for me.

    The LX3 is indeed the better camera technology wise and has better IQ but I just can't get along with the fiddly controls and really miss the step zoom.

    Tom, you will regret lugging the RD1 along. And hey, you know the rule. My UMPC goes where I go ;).

    Thanks Mike, the GX200 is a great camera and I enjoy it very much. Think it is a great improvement from the GX100 and even from the GRD II. Without the GRD I it would be the best Ricoh camera to date.

    Yesbuts, you are right, the G9/10 are great and very solid "bricks" but for me just too big and heavy. I'd rather carry a Epson RD1 or Panasonic G1 instead to have the better IQ and higher flexibility. Not that I would consider lugging the RD1 up a mountain ;).

    ReplyDelete