Saturday 26 July 2008

Cujo

GRD, f5, 1/90, ISO 64, JPG b&w, 21mm

It was a quiet and relaxed day without many pictures today. Quite unusual for a Saturday but nice to do. I only took this picture while walking around Blackheath. Unfortunately I forgot to swap the GRD I back to ISO 400 so the dog ended blurry. Since I want to always post the first picture, I had to use it. Overall I started to like this picture more the longer I looked at it and had an idea how to process it.
I cropped it to the 16:9 format to make it reflect the movie format better, added noise and some vignetting on the edges. I then sharpened the picture using unsharp mask and changed the contrast using the curves tool. Overall I really like this picture now for some reason although it would've been better with some dark clouds above.

4 comments:

  1. GRD is truly good at b/w shots. It's one of the things that GRDII still can't do. After getting your GRD back, will you take more b/w photos?

    I guess the name "Cujo" come from the movie with the same name, right? Too bad that I haven't seen the movie. If I had, I should get more from the photo.

    Naming a photo is never an easy task. It's easy to be bland or misdirect the viewers towards the wrong place. From what I've read, your photos have often come with good names. Like the photos themselves, many of them show your good sense of humour. I like this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike.
    The GRD I is IMHO in a different league and I prefer the jpg b&w output to any other camera and even film. It has a different lookmto the pictures. While this picture is quite heavily processed it still shows the GRD I quality.
    I think you will start seeing more GRD I b&w pictures on my blog but I also like the colors it produces on overcast days.

    The name is indeed from the book and movie with the same name. The only think you would get more out of the picture is the atmosphere I tried to emulate. Since it's a horror movie I tried to give the picture the look of old b&w horror movies. The dog in the picture was very nice and friendly though.

    Thanks, I do struggle to name my photos sometimes but try to use names from books, songs or movies or just sometimes that is reflected in my posting. Glad you like the titles :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely a great and contrasty B&W photograph.

    Yes, naming is difficult. Unless you are Anton Corbijn. He named many of his photographs "Untitled".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Wouter.

    Interesting, will have to start naming my pictures 'Untitled' as a homage to this guy then ;).

    ReplyDelete