Saturday 24 May 2008

Steaming Hot

GRD II, f6.3, 1/640, ISO 100, RAW, 40mm

Took this picture while walking in the castle in Budapest with the GRD II and the 40mm lens.
Been using the GRD II and I mainly with the 40mm adapter lens or standard 28mm. Here unlike Tokyo I did no make much use of the 21mm lens since I generally did not need such a wide angle, people were further away and buildings not as tall. I really like the possibility to use the 40mm or 21mm adapter lenses on the GRD II. The only downside is that it does take some time to swap the lenses around and this is where the GX100 shines and especially since it has a longer reach. The downside is that at 28mm or 50mm the GX100 lens is not as fast so it struggles in low light.
The old GX got some use with the 85mm end of the zoom but overall was too much to carry around every day so stayed in the hotel on most days. It is a very nice camera overall and I would like to use it more but it simply can not match the GRDs and it's too bulky to carry around most of the time.
What I found out is that I took most picturs with the camera I had in my hand. I just made the camera I had out work for the shot as good as possible. The GRD I came out when I needed a "perfect" b&w image, the GR1 when the batteries on the GRDs were dying or for more calculated shots, the GX (when available) when a longer reach was needed and the GRD II when speed of operation, good colors and ease of use. The GX100 performed in all instances vey well and would make a great compromise between these cameras if only the lens were a f2-f2.4 or constant f2.8 lens. It is very versatile though and produces some very nice images.

5 comments:

  1. So many cameras? I never used so many, nor owned so many cameras. It is fair to compare them on usability. And don't forget, at 28mm the GX100 has a maximum opening of f/2.7, at 24mm it is f/2.5, and at 35mm it is still f/2.9. A remarkable achievement for such a small zoom lens.
    Love the almost historic scene on the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting overview..I would of gone mad with so many cameras!! Your writing only adds to the conviction that the GX100 would be a camera I would get along very well with..

    Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments.
    The GX100 lens is really outstanding and one of the best zoom lenses in compact cameras as far as I can tell.
    I am a bit crazy and like collecting stuff. A while ago it was DVDs and now I started buying less DVDs and spend some of the money on cameras and holidays to be able to use the cameras ;). For me usability if the most important aspect of a camera, if it does not feel good and I don't like using it it will stay at hme and never take any pictures. Thus my complaining about the DP1.

    Eric, I believe you would enjoy the GX100 vey much. It is a great camera that I would buy if I did not have access to one or already too many cameras as it is ;). Maybe you should look out for a good deal on a 2nd hand one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cris, I have been hiddenly lurking for deals on GX100 for a few weeks now, trying to convince myself that I was "only looking"..last night I came acros a very sweet deal on a barely used one here in Spain (the Ricohs are very unknown here in Spain, like a brand for minotrities) and I am afraid I might have just purchased one..I still have untill monday to make my mind. And that is just when I had promised myself I was going to focus in using what I allready own..DOH!

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erik, congratulation to your purchase. I am sure you will like the camera a lot, it is very capable and it has some of the features you wished for on the LX3.

    There is nothing wrong with having a few cameras to choose from, this can be quite fun. Then I am saying that to justify having 4 Ricoh cameras and bought the Panasonic LC1 ;).

    ReplyDelete