Saturday 17 May 2008

Red Door

GR1, ISO 200, JPG from negative

"I see a red door and I want it painted black" - The Rolling Stones, Paint it Black (1966)

Today was a GR1 day, shot almost exclusively with the GR1. It was great although I missed the display to be able to compose a shot easier from different angles. Don't quite understand the complaint of many that a display is not good for composing images. For me it is vastly superior to using any OVF since it is easier to see from various angles, when holding the camera at waist level etc. Maybe it is because I started photography with a digital camera but the ability to see exactly what you'll get and be free from the constraint to put the camera to your face everytime you want to take a picture is a huge benefit. The argument that the camera is more stable does not hold for me since I got as many blurry shots as I would have with holding a digital camera and composing with the LCD.
This is a picture from the 36 I took and had developed in 1h. The prints look great but the jpgs on the CD are almost useless, very bad quality and only at 2MP. Since I do not have a negative scanner I have to take what the photo lab gives me. Should I start shooting more film I'll probably invest in a small but usable scanner.

2 comments:

  1. And still it gives me the feeling the GRD can't compete with the GR1. That camera still feels great in the hand. I love that sound of the winding film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that although I love the feel of the GR1 and the mechanical sounds it makes the GRD has an edge due to the smaller size. It now fits more comfortable in your hand, the main buttons are easier to reach and it is a lot quieter so can be used better for candid photography.

    ReplyDelete