Thursday 8 May 2008

The Light Above

GRD II, f3.2, 1/200, ISO 100, RAW, 40mm

Ok, no more b&w images...at least for today ;).
While it is a shot I really like due to the light and reflections it is also an example how one can mess up a shot by standing in the wrong place at the right time. I waited there to take a picture of only one person dressed in black for quite some time but there were either too many people on the stairs or people kept running into my shot. When she appeared it seemed to be exactly what I wanted if it wouldn't have been for me standing in the wrong place and having only a second to take the shot before someone ran into it again. It is a shame that she is partially obstructed by the handrail but I thought I post it anyway since it has more impact than some of the shots I took afterwards. Serves also as a reminder that sometimes you can't really get exactly what you want and there are no second chances.

6 comments:

  1. Well, it's still a bit of a monochrome picture that I like! Indeed sometimes you see an photo before you take it, then it's just a matter of sometimes sheer luck to get it the way you would have wanted it...circumstances force you into a different reality. I like it though, the lamppost is an extra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Ronald.

    You are right that the picture still looks a bit monochrome and initially I wanted to have it in b&w but decided to use a bit of color.
    The lamp post was the reason I stood there since I wanted to get it in. Shame it did not work out as well for her but this is the nature of street photography. Overall I still like the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Decisive moments...You might allready know it, but may I sugest you visit this site: http://www.johnbrownlow.com/phb/portfolios/humantraffic/index.html

    I linked you directly to his "human-traffic" portfolio, I particularly like his description of how the project started and how it unfolded..
    "It took four months before I got a good picture. Everything happened too fast. I would see something but before I could take a picture, it had gone. Eventually I learned to hot-wire the connection between heart, brain and camera so that as far as possible it bypassed the brain part. My heart beat a little faster and the camera fired. Oftentimes it wasn't until I looked at the negative that I found out what had provoked the finger to release the shutter. I was often surprised to discover I'd had time to focus without even knowing what I'd focused on."

    "I guess looking back that what I was really seeking was the flash of humanity, of connection. It's a fleeting thing. There were many days I would pound up and down the pavements and shoot roll after roll of meaningless pictures. I'd go home exhausted, disheartened. I'd give up."

    He has a couple of interesting essays on fighting "shyness" and other stuff that I enjoyed..The human traffic portfolio is terrific!

    Have a nice day!!

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link Erik, a very interesting page.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you like the photograph then don't aim for more perfection. Come back to the location more often and previsualize the scene you want to capture.
    But like you said, I like the shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Wouter and you're right, I should not worry about the shot. I have some other nice shots from there with the GRD I in b&w but this one stood out so overall I have no reason to complain. I might revisit the location and try again for a shot that is how I imagine it.

    ReplyDelete