Monday 12 May 2008

Life After Death

GRD II, f3.5, 1/200, ISO 100, RAW, 40mm

"Childhood's over the moment you know you're gonna die." - Top Dollar, The Crow (1994)

This quote came to mind today when I took the picture. The Crow is one of my favorite movies and comics. A bit makabre and not a happy picture, especially with the quote, but I find this "church playground" a bit strange to begin with.
Took a picture here before but was not happy with the result and it was with a dSLR. Since the weather was great today I decided to take a walk home along the Thames and passed by this place so decided to retake the picture with the GRD II and 40mm lens. I processed it quit a bit since I wanted to give it a surreal look but at the same time look a bit like the Crow comic book. A rainy day would've been better to take the picture and I would love to have a crow actually standing of one of the gravestones, this would make it perfect but I like it.

4 comments:

  1. Certainly very makabre. The contradiction between the graves, playground, and the highlighted background are truly strange and fascinating.
    Unfortunately because of the processing you lost most of the fine details in this photograph. IMO, this is a location you should return to when it is rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things that first stroke me when I saw this image was the kid´s playground next to the graveyard...Interesting, this image has a certain Edgar Allan Poe feel!! I agree with Wouter ,though, some fog or a cloudy dark day would definetely add strenght to the image..

    Erik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I agree that taking this picture on a dark and rainy day is better.

    Wouter, I tried different processing styles and even straight coversions but the picture did not work as well. Think the gray and rainy atmosphere was missing to add to the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think it is alright you could sent me the RAW file (to my gmail account). Than I could try to see how I can process it.

    ReplyDelete