Wednesday 28 May 2008

GRD I vs GRD II - Teaser no. 1


Ok, I've been writing a lot about the differences of the two GRDs and have been promissing a comparisson for a while now. While I have to admit I am still not done with it due to me changing the format or content around very often I decided to finally post some pictures to compare both cameras.
Find below the 100% crops. The top crops are from the GRD II and the bottom crops from the GRD I, the last is left GRD II and right GRD I.






The shots are taken with the same settings on both cameras and are straight jpgs out of the cameras, the crops are done using Faststone image compare so no up- or downsizing has been done.
I will leave it at only that so you can make up your own mind and give you my impressions tomorrow.

Today I bought a Panasonic LC1 that I should recieve by the end of next week so after an initial test I will try to do a comparisson with all cameras. I hear you say that I should finish my initial comparisson first? Yes, I should really do it but I plan a change in the format so this should hopefully let me get everything done pretty soon. Can't wait to get it and take it for a spin :).

8 comments:

  1. Glad to see that someone else has Ricohs + an LC1 - if you like your GR-D then you will like the LC1 - I came from the other direction as I had a LC1 before the Ricohs.

    The LC1 lens is to die for ...

    Tom Caldwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tom, your posts on the DPReview Ricoh forum are partly to blame for me looking at the LC1 to begin with ;). Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm convinced. having used a GRD II for some time..it's enuff. i'm going back to GRD 1.

    i used to own a LC-1 too, and i must say it does have not only a bloody sharp lens, but takes photos full of soul. a true leica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The GRD II is a great camera, the RAW images have less noise and more detail, the speed is improved, the LCD is great, it has now usable My settings on the dial, the flash pop-up switch is much better but somehow it does not have the same character and feel as the GRD I.
    From a pure technical point of view the GRD II is in every way superior to the GRD I and most compact cameras but it it lacking the soul of the GRD I, the reason why it was and still is so popular.

    The LC1 has an own look and feel to it and no other Panasonic or rebadged Leica camera comes close to this look from what I could see. Even the pictures from the M8 look kind of "flat" and the Epson RD1 is better in this respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm, i can't tell which pics come from which camera... otherwise it would be a good comparison lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elaine, the top crops are from the GRD II and the bottom crops from the GRD I. The last is left GRD II and ricoh GRD I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard how unique the LC 1 is and I bought it some years ago. Then several months ago the lens sensor went dead. Luckly, I was able to get it repaired for free from Panasonic! Still my favorite digital camera today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dulcy, you are right about the LC1. I think it is still one of the best digital cameras. I surely hope Panasonic can release a new but smaller LC2.

    ReplyDelete