Monday 3 March 2008

A Little Bit of Industry

GRD, f5, 1/320, ISO 100, RAW, 21mm

I like taking pictures of industrial facilities and buildings as I think they look cool. So it should come as no surprise that my favorite building is London is the Battersea Power Station. While this clearly is not it, it's the Lewisham Hospital instead. Having said that I will take and post a picture of the Battersea Power Station at some point.
A funny story is that I got one of the "Terrorist suspect" stop and search warrants by the police here while taking pictures of the, now unused, Greenwich Power Station (another cool building in London by the way).
The picture is taken with the 21mm lens and developed from RAW with changes to the contrast and adding some noise to it.

4 comments:

  1. Very good picture! Did you consider lenscorrection or is this the effect you are after? I like it with bended angles. Some questions Cristi.. I often read about adding noise, how do you do that, I like it! And... I can apply a RAW hack to my G7, looking at my pictures, do you think I should start trying it?? I can develop jpgs in Lightroom very easily...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comment Ronald.
    I have to admit I never tried lenscorrection (need to try it though). In this case I wanted this effect though as I like the slightly skewed angles and distorted perspective, this is why I also changed the contrast and added noise.
    I just use the filter in Photoshop for adding noise (only monochrome though) and use the strength from 2.5 to 6.5 depending on the effect I am after. Sometimes I run USM after applying the noise to make it stand out more. While most people like or aim for clean images I think that fine noise can add some structure to the image.

    While a lot of people use RAW all the time I mostly use it to have a color copy of my image when shooting it in b&w (saying that I could just use color bracketing instead) or when I need slightly more dynamic range. I process RAW as much as I process jpgs and for b&w I usually prefer the jpgs from the camera. RAW allows me to have a backup of my image though as I tent to crop and alter the original jpg file (have too many pictures to keep duplicates ;) ).

    Looking at your pictures I would say you do not necessary need to apply the RAW hack as they do not look overly processed or taken at high ISO (for your landscapes though it could be worth it). It is good if you want to be more flexible with the noise reduction at higher ISOs and wish you had more DR sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an excellent photo. Applying any lenscorrection to this photo is hardly possible. The angles are too extreme. I just tried it with ShiftN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments Cristi, I share your opinion that a clean look is not always the best way to go.. I also like noise or grain as an element in a picture. And hey, in ' the old days' grain from a high iso picture was just normal!

    ReplyDelete